Let’s start with ideas I cannot implement at this time.
Music as a Service
a. Streaming is where it is going, but again it is a publishing/royalty nightmare to administrate to various artists, publishers, and record labels. Requires funding from various sources.
b. Hardware /Music relationship requirements. The reason why only large startups can do it (Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Tidal).
a. Vinyl are logistics heavy
b. Digital Downloads (publishing and royalty nightmare/time prohibitive as a solo startup)
c. CD are logistics heavy
a. I do not have time to be a journalist. That is not my primary focus. This is a later venture for me to explore.
A physical venture that is the most likely, but that I would have to piggyback on the fame of the so called “radio station” or “record label”
Music Producer/Solo Artist
(via)phuturistic.blue/z relaunch, but I would have to be the solo producer. I can invest in time to learn after I secure a job in Python as a developer.
Right now it is time prohibitive for me to learn. I am the only one that knows what he wants to hear.
The number #1 instant startup/side project while I’m learning(that also ties into the “Music Science”(possible) journey ( I don’t really know if I am 100% going there yet!).):
RADIO STATION/BIG DATA [senseofgroove.com] idea to learn music science:
- I will treat this as a side project without the pressure of marketing.
- I can play playlists all day(while I am studying/working). Mixtapes from Dj’s worldwide.
- I am still contributing to my love of music without doing nothing at all.
- Donations via paypal
- Has a possibility to launch into a growth business leading into PB relaunch, festivals, etc…
- It has stability
- I can understand “music science” and turn it around as a project to procure a related job in that field.
- I can control and adjust while being remote, since I am not running the server physically (I don’t have to maintain the server)
- Maybe share my discoveries of “music science” via SOG radio with peers in the industry. Share it on a blog.
- I will do only drum and bass. No other music genre. Keep it very very focused.
- Keep it clean by signing up to performance rights affiliation (cost is not too high)
- Re-hack and learn to setup my own player (via Python) and understand networking.
The positives are there. It looks like a very low threshold to satisfy my musical urges without “doing nothing at all”.
Since I can’t start my own streaming service (to learn music as a service)
The next best thing to learn about music analytics and big data is to start an internet radio station.
Quick and instant setup hack:
- Discogs to discover new music
- Secret source to download and save high quality (320 mp3/aiff/.flac/wav) music
- Shoutca.st to stream music
- Paypal to ask donation